Port Republic, New Jersey
February 18, 2011
The Giberson family settled in Port Republic in 1637. They were Dutch shipbuilders and sawyers. In 1680, the English made them swear allegiance to King Charles II and gave them very large land grants for their loyalty and valuable ship-producing skills. During the American Revolution, families were divided in loyalty and literally fought against one another. The Loyalists fled to Nova Scotia while the Patriots stayed here.
The picture shows a built to spec 1931 gas station/garage that Mayor Gary has built on his property. Tail Fins and Chrome will visit with Mayor Gary this February to capture his story on film.